RSS Feeds

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Ah, the Memories: 2009


Okay, I know what you're thinking: 2009 isn't truly over yet. Maybe that and the fact that I said in my first post for this series that this is in no way a "Best of" list. Well, 2009 is going to feel a bit like that. These songs are my favorites of the year, but it might seem a bit "Best-of"-y. Oh well....

"Daylight" by Matt & Kim from the album Grand

I would not have made it through finals last spring if i wasn't for this song. Whenever I took a much needed break, I would go outside, try to find a bit of sunshine, and put it on repeat for a good half hour. Pure bliss!

"Quiet Little Voices" by We Were Promised Jetpacks from the album These Four Walls

These Four Walls is a rhythmically driven powerhouse of a debut, laden with cleverly-disguised pop melodies, fleeting post-punk nods, and bombastic drumming. And "Quiet Little Voices" has everything you need in a good song: clever songwriting and a passionate lead singer.

"Home" by Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros from the album From Below

Plain and simle, this song just makes me happy! How can it now, it's filled with unabashed joy! Hopefully everyone knows that "Home is wherever I'm with you" feeling - it's one of the most incredible things in the world.

"Bulletproof" by La Roux from their self-titled album La Roux

This is such a bitch-fight-back song, and that's why I approve! At the end of the day, it's just great catchy electro-pop. Thank you La Roux for embracing old synthesised beats!

"Postcards" by An Horse from the album Rearrange Beds

What a great song. Filled with fuzzed-out riffs, hummable hooks, and snarling beats, it's hard to stop listening. But at the same time you have those lyrics, and just it feels more stripped down and honest.

And there you have it! Ah, the Memories! Anyone else feeling nostalgic? Either way, Happy New Year!

0 comments :