RSS Feeds

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Ah, the Memories: 2000


Oh man, 2000. It was the start of the new millenium! Remember that feeling (maybe it's a similar to the feeling of making it to a new decade). Looking back, there had to be plenty of moments that are essential to history, but I was a simple 11 year old - that's not what I was concerned about. I was much more caught up in trying to figure out what the hell the lyrics were for "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" by Eiffel 65. Looking back through my old CDs (I still had my trusty Walkman) and remembering what was on my Napster (oh, nostalgia), it's pretty clear what I was listening to in 2000.

"Punk Rock Princess" by Something Corporate - from the album Leaving Through the WIndow


Without a question in my mind, Something Corporate needed to be on this list. Take it or leave it. I remember that every time I got out of the shower I would pop in this CD and just put it on repeat and dance around my room. I had the BIGGEST crush on lead singer Andrew McMahon, and like any pre-teen girl I felt like through his music, he was personally talking to me.

"Hate to Say I Told You So" by The Hives from the album Veni Vedi Vicious


This was my first introduction to garage rock and the garage rock revival, and if you remember, The Hives got pretty big in the early 2000s (what else could you expect, I mean the boys had matching suits!). But it was a packge deal: his voice, the guitar hooks, the monster drums - aw yeah!

"Beautiful" by Flickerstick from the album Welcoming Home the Astronauts


I don't even know any other songs by this band - hell, I don't even remember where I found it. just know that any mix CD (yes, that's my generation, not mix tapes, but mix CDs) I still have in my CD case includes this song. Maybe it's the guitar riff, maybe it's the lyrics, but I love this song!

"Passerby" by Dispatch from the album Who Are We Living For?


This was the biggest song at my sleep away camp one summer. My counselor would play "Passerby" on repeat from her stereo which just so happened to be right next to my bed. And as a result, I now will forever know the lyrics. Plus I'm from New England, and who from New England doesn't love Dispatch?

And there you have it! Some of favorite songs of 2000. Say tuned, 2001 is coming up next!

0 comments :