RSS Feeds

Monday, June 22, 2009

Multiple Eargasms

I probably just had one of the best weekends of my life. One of the most tiring - true - but it was worth it, I promise. Because first there was...

THURSDAY: PASSION PIT WITH HARLEM SHAKES

I'm really glad that I got a chance to see both bands live, but without a question the sound levels were awful. The bass was mixed so high that it almost completely drowned out Passion Pit lead singer Michael Angelakos‘ vocals on a few songs, and that’s saying something when it comes to a piercing falsetto like his.

One thing is for sure, the kids were jamming. Harlem Shakes definitely got the crowd started, and they were great live. As for Passion Pit, well I can’t think of another band with such a upbeat repertoire of songs, and their performance was amazing (all things considered). The set was brief (they took the stage around 11:00PM and finished right around midnight) but packed with one keyboard-based, dancefloor-ready anthem after another.

Let Your Love Grow Tall by Passion Pit
Carpetbaggers by Harlem Shakes

But the weekend wasn't over. Friday wasn't even really a "break." I went to a Sox game with my family, and then came...

SATURDAY: NO DOUBT

If you have the opportunity to see No Doubt in concert DO IT! Gwen's stage presence and the band's energy in general made this one of the best concerts that I've ever been to. It was one of those great concerts where you were literally dancing to every song and I left feeling energetic and happy. I say this stunned because it rained the entire time. But No Doubt is a band that truly - without a question in my mind - sums up the definition of "music legend." Think about how many hits they have had as a group. Really. Just take a second. And they're not just performers, they are entertainers. Really, it was an amazing show.

Just a Girl by No Doubt

And as if that wasn't enough, the next day was

SUNDAY: THE FRAY WITH JACK'S MANNEQUIN

Admittedly, I'm not a huge Fray fan. I know the songs that get played on the radio, their fabulous cover of Kanye West's "Heartless," and a couple of other songs. The main reason I went was because 1) the tickets were a birthday present for my sister and 2) more importantly (haha kidding, sis) Jack's Mannequin opened for the Fray. Now for those of you who know me, you know that I am an Andrew McMahon groupie. I want him to be my baby daddy - there's really nothing else to it.

Heartless (Kanye West Cover) The Fray
Bloodshot by Jack's Mannequin

But yes, it truly was an amazing wekend. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

0 comments :