RSS Feeds

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Download Bloc Party's "One More Chance!"

Bloc Party holds a special place in my heart. Silent Alarm is one of my favorite albums of all time. But it seems that over the years, with each new release, people are becoming less and less fond of them. I will admit the band’s sound has changed greatly over the years, but I still consider myself a loyal fan. But there is no doubt they are dying to stay relevant in this fast paced music game. Now the question is, do they succeed?

Bloc Party's new single, "One More Chance," arrives August 10 via Wichita, but there's a leak that's been floating around the internet the past week. The track was produced by Jacknife Lee (who also worked with the band on Intimacy and A Weekend in the City) and mixed by Philippe Zdar (who worked on the new Phoenix album).

One More Chance by Bloc Party

The general consensus is mixed: some say its a song that will grow on you, others say the band falls flat with their attempt for a “club track." It starts off with a repetitive piano, Kele repeating “Give me one more chance,” and then the guitars kick in and Bloc Party are in their groove. The song is a bit repetitive and safe at times, you can tell the band is kinda stuck between their rock sound, and their dance sound.

To tell you the truth I don’t really know how I feel about it yet. It isn’t bad by any means, but I am not crazy about it either. Bloc Party’s greatest strength was always the unity and driven nature of their music. That tight interplay between the frantic guitar riffs, the relentless drums and Kele’s desperate, wordless yelps. I really appreciate what they’re trying to do here; I’d always rather a band do what they’re doing, but this still isn’t hitting the spot.

0 comments :