RSS Feeds

Monday, November 8, 2010

Cowlick

Until I read their email (that's right, you can submit to Ruined By MTV and I will eventually read it) I will admit that I had never heard of Cowlick. Thanks for the email guys!

Cowlick started one day in February 2006 when brothers Dylan Hudecki (formerly of By Divine Right and Junior Blue) and his younger brother Jackson Hudecki (Alive & Living) recorded some improvised bedtracks in a studio in the country. They later added friend Ian Parker and Cowlick was complete.

I am really loving their track "Wires." Full of handclaps and fuzzy guitar riffs, what's not to love?

Cowlick - "Wires"

There are so many genres influencing Cowlick's sound, anything from indie rock to folk to psychedelia to hiphop to funk to noise rock or experimental. I think that's why I'm really loving their music. Tracks like "Radio" have bluesy, thick guitar melodies; "White Russians" features Lee Reed and has true hip-hop beats and a wonky bass; "Conflict of Interest" has folky guitar strumming and (what sounds like) a lap steel guitar.

With Wires, their second album, just released this past August and a wonderful remix of it already available through their website, I'm looking forward to hearing more about Cowlick in the future.

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

I went to their cd release party in hamilton, and was blown away!! Great set with lots of great guests, not to mention the unreleased "don't call me baby". Loving their remix album too, especially conflict of interest.

Morgan said...

That sounds awesome! I bet they're great live. I really like the remix album too, but I'm a sucker for Wires (both original and remixed).

Anonymous said...

My partner and I really enjoyed reading this blog post, I was just itching to know do you trade featured posts? I am always trying to find someone to make trades with and merely thought I would ask.

Morgan said...

It depends. Sometimes I will trade featured posts though.

Anonymous said...

Terrific work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher!