RSS Feeds

Friday, February 5, 2010

New Broken Social Scene Album

Goodness gracious! On May 4th, Broken Social Scene will be releasing their fourth studio album! The release has yet to be titled, but I'm sure it'll be a work of genus (as always)!

Apparently the band is trying something new. As a core six-piece who had spent most of 2007 and 2008 on the road, Kevin Drew, Brendan Canning, Charles Spearin, Andrew Whiteman, Sam Goldberg, and Justin Peroff spent early 2009 working on new material in Toronto. I guess cutting down on the number of people making creative decisions worked well for them, helping to create spacious songs written as a band by a band, resulting in more cohesive, melody-driven compositions. They wrote nearly 40 songs in and out of the studio! I wonder how many of those were put together as the first new Broken Social Scene record in five years.

Obviously the band will be doing some touring to promote the album (you can find the dates on their site). During the New York date I will be in the middle of finals, but I find myself considering a road trip to Toronto in June. I mean, it would be Broken Social Scene, Pavement, and Band of Horses! Hopefully they'll add more dates instead so I won't have to drive all that way...

2 comments :

sarahgerrunn said...

#1) I love you and this site. always great music and great writing.

2) im psyched for this album.

3) that concert in june sounds AMAZING. i'd totally tag along for that shit. Band of horses, wtfff!!!

<3 sarah

Morgan said...

1) I love you and your support!

2) Why isn't it May 4th yet (for bout 20 reasons, including and not limited to this album, and my summer officially starting May 17th)

3) We need to go to more concerts when you return from study abroad

<3 morgan