RSS Feeds

Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Road Trip: New York

Without a question there is far too much music coming out of New York, especially, New York City. (I'll have the same problem when I'm writing about California, but so it goes). That being said, I found some bands that I really liked and wanted to share with you. Though I will admit there are a LOT of other options out there. I realize this, but I want to make sure that you realize this too.

And now on to Tortured Soul...

Born of the simple yet adventurous belief that modern dance music can be performed completely live, Brooklyn’s Tortured Soul packs dance floors with their unique live performances, and their music pushes the genre boundaries of soul, dance, and pop. Combining elements of old soul and funk with a modern dancefloor sensibility, Tortured Soul’s style is both an echo of the past and a challenge to the future.

2004 saw the release of their highly praised first full-length album Introducing Tortured Soul which collected their early 12” singles with some new studio gems. They have also released numerous EPs. In early March 2009 Tortured Soul dropped their newest album Did You Miss Me on the band’s own newly formed TSTC Records.

The track "Did You Miss Me" off the album of the same name is by far my favorite song.

Did You Miss Me by Tortured Soul

Did You Miss Me itself is a great album. It winds its way through infectious disco grooves, heartfelt raw soul, and lyrical themes that range from melancholic love, infidelity, and party-going mirth.

I'm glad that I stumbeled on this band, and I hope you enjoyed them too!



Honorable Mentions:
S.O.S. by Earl Greyhound
No One Ever Dies Young by Favourite Sons
Stars Still Pretty by Aeroplane Pagent

All of the British spellings are a bit ironic since all of these bands are from NYC and I was trying to post more American music...



Thinking of a band from New York that I should know? Leave it in the comments section!

0 comments :